A devastated mom spoke of the traumatic moment when her two-year-old daughter contracted a deadly infection while at a five-star resort.
A devastated mom talked about the traumatic moment when her two-year-old girl was attacked by a little girl on vacation and died.
Allie Birchall was struck by a bacterial infection while staying at a five-star resort in Turkey in 2019.
The toddler, from Greater Manchester in the United Kingdom, developed complications and became ill shortly after returning home. The sun References.
He died at the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital on August 3, 2019, and last month a medical examiner concluded that he had died of natural causes having stuck a “single strain of Escherichia coli” (E. coli).
And after nearly three years of waiting for answers, Ali’s family hopes that others could be saved from suffering similar to their own.
“The loss of our little Allie so tragically and suddenly was heartbreaking for all of us, and it’s still incredibly hard to think we’ll never see her again,” said Katie Dawson, 36.
Stream your news live and on demand with Flash. From CNN International, Al Jazeera, Sky News, BBC World, CNBC and more. New Flash user? Try 1 month free. The offer expires on October 31, 2022>
“When he was admitted to the hospital, we all prayed he would make it. To say that he had suffered a brain injury was absolutely devastating.
“The whole experience was traumatic and we lost a huge part of our lives.
“Ali had her whole life ahead of her before she was abducted in the hardest possible way. “Her death is something we will never overcome.”
The medical examiner found that Allie had a “unique strain of Escherichia coli (E. coli) that must have originated in Turkey, but it is not possible to say how Allie acquired it.”
Her mother added: “Unfortunately nothing can turn the clock back and bring us back our princess, but we are grateful that the search is over and we have at least some answers.
“All we can hope for now is that others do not have to suffer like our family.”
Ali had visited an all-inclusive resort on a 10-day vacation with her family on July 23, 2019, according to the interrogation in the forensic court of Manchester.
By July 27, he was ill with stomach cramps, diarrhea and vomiting.
When she was first admitted to the hospital, “doctors were concerned that Allie was suffering from Shiga-induced hemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS). [toxin]-production of Escherichia coli “, said the medical examiner.
HUS is a potentially fatal blood condition associated with E. coli that produces Shiga toxin (STEC), which can lead to kidney failure and brain damage.
As she was diagnosed with both diseases and worsened, doctors decided that Ali should be taken to the Royal Manchester Children’s Hospital for further supportive treatment, including dialysis, according to the study.
She went into a provocative coma on August 1 and her family made the heartbreaking decision to end her life support two days later after an MRI scan revealed she had suffered a brain injury, the investigation said.
The medical examiner found that the medical cause of Allie’s death was encephalopathy (brain swelling) and other HUS-related complications caused by infection with Escherichia coli (STEC), which produces Shiga toxin.
Jatinder Paul, a senior associate lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing Allie’s family, said: what everyone has gone through.
“Although we can not change what happened, Allie’s family at least now have some answers as to why they took her so soon. The risks of gastric diseases and infections should never be underestimated.
“MI coli is extremely serious and can lead to long-term health problems and in the worst cases, such as death. We will continue to support them as they try to come to terms with their loss.”
This story originally appeared on The Sun and is republished here with permission